Known originally as the Lake Louise Ski Lodge, Post Hotel first opened in 1942. Jim Boyce, a well-known guide from Banff, was the builder. He sourced logs for the lodge in Revelstoke and at the headwaters of the Bow River. With a crew of just ten men, using mostly hand tools, the building was completed in a remarkably short time. The war forced a closure soon thereafter and the doors would not open again until 1948.